海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: 因为爱 所以回来 栾菊杰剑赛场高举“祖国好”(图) ZT
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归茶馆           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 因为爱 所以回来 栾菊杰剑赛场高举“祖国好”(图) ZT   
所跟贴 因为爱 所以回来 栾菊杰剑赛场高举“祖国好”(图) ZT -- 换位思考 - (2110 Byte) 2008-8-12 周二, 05:13 (2655 reads)
换位思考
[博客]
[个人文集]

头衔: 海归少将

头衔: 海归少将
声望: 学员
性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2006/10/11
文章: 505

海归分: 241091

文章标题: Mom does family, two countries proud (629 reads)      时间: 2008-8-12 周二, 06:23

作者:换位思考海归茶馆 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

Mom does family, two countries proud

John MacKinnon, Canwest News Service
Published: Monday, August 11, 2008

BEIJING - To many Chinese of a certain age, Edmonton fencer Jujie Luan is a sporting legend. But to her 14-year-old daughter, Jerrica, the 50-year-old, four-time Olympian is just 'mom.'

And so, watching Luan, a gold medallist for China at the 1984 Summer Games in Los Angeles, compete Monday for Canada at her fourth Olympics, Jerrica was a tad leery that mom might embarrass her, ever so slightly.

When Luan fell behind 2-0 early to a 19-year-old Tunisian fencer named Ines Boubkari, Jerrica thought she knew what was coming.

"I thought it was really exciting because it was the Olympics and everything," said Jerrica, who was watching Luan compete for the first time. "They're the top fencers in the world and I was just, like, I guess really proud because my mom is one of them still after so many years, and her being so old and everything.

"I felt really nervous for her. And I was really unsure what other people would think, I guess. At first I was like, this is going to be (a loss) and then it was, Oh, my gosh, she's winning!

"And then we started getting really excited. Then she started getting a whole bunch of red cards and I was 'Oh, God, this is getting really bad again.

"And then she won and we were all really proud. I thought it was really amazing how all these Chinese people got up and started clapping and were cheering for her.

"She's still considered a hero."

Which is why one segment of the crowd of 4,000 at the Fencing Hall spent much of the match rhythmically chanting Luan's name in Chinese. It's why Jerrica, along with older sister Jessica, 17, and brother Daniel, 10, were waving signs that read: 'Luan Jujie, we love you.' Not to mention chanting, "Mother, Go! Go!"

Dajin Gu, Luan's husband, was there, too, leading the cheers and overseeing the kids, supporting his wife of 24 years, the oldest competitor in the Olympic fencing competition.

Well, Luan did get going, building a commanding 12-5 lead against Boubkari - who was not yet born when Luan won her gold medal in Los Angeles - and holding on for a 13-9 victory.

In the second round, she lost decisively, 15-7, to 32-year-old Aida Mohamed of Hungary, who finished fourth in this event at the 2004 Games in Athens. But then, Luan's dream had been to compete in Beijing at the Olympics in front of her family, friends and former homeland, not to win a medal.

"This one was very special for me because I had never fenced at the Olympics in China," said Luan, who waved a small, red flag when she entered the arena that read 'Hello, my home country' in Chinese characters. "Everybody has asked me what do you think of this one compared to 1984?

"But 1984 was in L.A., so not very many people (family) went there, just a cousin and three friends. But today, here, I felt like I was back home. Everybody called my name, they still remember me."

When a large media scrum formed around Jerrica at the end of the question-and-answer period, a flustered Jerrica hollered, "Mama!" Then she fled the room, leaving Luan to tell her now-familiar story.

About how she competed in the world junior fencing championship in 1978, won a silver medal, despite the fact that a competitor accidentally impaled her left arm, the one she competes with, in the first match.

About how she won her gold medal in Los Angeles for China in its return to the Games for the first time in decades.

About how she moved to Edmonton in 1989, a city she had fallen in love with when she competed at the 1983 University Games. In 2000, Luan ended a 12-year retirement and competed for her adopted country at the Summer Games in Sydney, Australia.

Luan talked about the past 15 months, when she unretired again and went through a gruelling qualifying grind that included a training camp in Montreal and a nine-week sojourn, based in Budapest, Hungary, in February and March, competing in six tournaments to earn enough points to punch her ticket to Beijing.

It meant a great deal of time away from Dajin and her children, including her eldest, Jessica, who has Down syndrome and a pacemaker for a faulty heart.

It meant raising money for the European trip and much else. The Edmonton Fencing Club, where Luan coaches, raised money to help.

There were times when Luan wondered whether she should put aside the Olympic plan and get on with life, times when she asked her husband if she was doing the right thing.

"She wanted to go, but she worried about us," Dajin said. "That's why she asked me if I should go.

"She always thinks of us. But I knew her and I knew she wanted to go."

On Monday, the journey done, Luan said the grind had been worth it, partly to prove that age is just a number, partly to say 'thanks' to China for getting her started in sport and in life.

Did she feel she is a woman with two countries?

"Yes," said Luan, who is planning to start fencing school that will bear her name in Shanghai. "I spent the first 30 years of my life in China and for the last 20 I've been in Canada."

John MacKinnon is in Beijing as part of the Canwest News Service Olympic Team

作者:换位思考海归茶馆 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
栾菊杰8月14日新浪访谈实录 海归茶馆 2008-8-15 周五, 02:41
[原创]富贵网中求 (14) --- 回忆篇:探寻灰色的财富轨迹(下) 海归茶馆 2006-8-01 周二, 14:04
[原创]富贵网中求 (13) --- 回忆篇:探寻灰色的财富轨迹(上) 海归茶馆 2006-8-01 周二, 11:40
[讨论]提上来答老中回跃民浪慢故国行(10)中的回贴:as a resea... 海归酒吧 2006-7-25 周二, 08:22
期待理性的回归-----简论上海房地产市场的未来趋势(ZT) 海归论坛 2003-11-08 周六, 11:09
只许高管央视睡主播,不容百姓东莞爱思偶(ISO)!【此情色贴,正人君子请回避】 生活风情 2014-2-20 周四, 19:11
跟风小路《你的眼神》祝大家新年大吉大利!祝爱茉莉回国愉快! 高山流水 2011-12-27 周二, 10:08
回国纪实(2) 我爱祖国的蓝天 海归茶馆 2008-6-19 周四, 09:24

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 换位思考离线  发送站内短信 MSN
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归茶馆           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.