海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: [转帖] 融资选择天使还是选择VC?
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 [转帖] 融资选择天使还是选择VC?   
tutu
[博客]
[个人文集]

头衔: 海归准将

头衔: 海归准将
声望: 专家
性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2004/02/21
文章: 4238
来自: 广州:gz_venture_club AT yahoo DOT com
海归分: 180045

文章标题: [转帖] 融资选择天使还是选择VC? (1483 reads)      时间: 2011-1-02 周日, 20:14   

作者:tutu海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

Angels or VCs? Or both?
by Charlie Odonnell

I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to fundraise according to the SEC, so let's just play hypotheticals for the moment... wink wink, nudge nudge.

IF I was a startup looking to raise seed money for development of a project, ooh.... something similar to Path 101 (I think I've settled on having a space there), and raising somewhere between 250-450k, what should the makeup of that round look like?

On one side, not many VCs would even do such a round pre-product, but a few of the would. There are some smaller, perhaps more specialized funds that do this sort of thing. Either way, these are people that are primarily in the business of investing in startups. To me, the benefit is that they have experience, connections, and they (ideally) have a sense of professionalism around the way they conduct their business. (i.e. They're not going to show up at your door one night demanding their money back.)

The one thing I don't necessarily believe is that it makes them any more likely to invest in an A round. Sure, they've gotten a chance to get to know you, but if a VC is interested, they don't need to put in 200K to do that. They can take you out to a few lunches and hang around the rim enough to see what you're up to. Plus, if you don't wind up coming out with a compelling product, they're free to just walk away from the deal anyway. At least with angels, there isn't an expectation that they're going to participate significantly in an A round, so you won't have egg on your face if it doesn't happen.

As for angels, you're likely to need them at this point, so I think the question becomes more of a question of composition. Friends? Family? Big names? Angel groups? A mix? How many?

If you can, I think its advisable to avoid friends and family, unless you have friends and family in the business that you're going into, whether its tech or something else. You'll need their moral and emotional support and you should let them know that's what's important. You don't want money, or lack of it when the company blows up, getting in the way there. Plus, unsophisticated investors, even if it's your mom, are probably going to be a little bit of a pain in the butt. (Although, Jeff Bezos' parents turned out to be good angels...)

I think a mix should probably be in order.... the professional investors that you know best, and also a few "reach" candidates. If you could get anyone on board--captains of industry, celebrities, etc--who would it be? For me, I think anyone on the founding teams of Monster, Careerbuilder, or Hotjobs would be perfect. Published authors of books like "What Color is Your Parachute?" would be ideal, too.

But I'd like to hear from entrepreneurs. What's been your angel experience? Surprises? Who's been a much better addition than you expected? Who's been a disappointment? VCs in angel/seed rounds?

作者:tutu海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
[学习八仙,不懂就问]现在融资都在中国还是海外啊? 海归主坛 2010-8-05 周四, 12:07
请教,明天在嘉华杜融资大会这里有人参加吗?我们组团去可以节约不少钱 海归论坛 2006-7-14 周五, 22:57
[转帖]慎重选择美国投资移民项目,揭穿常见的移民中介骗局 投资移民 2011-12-11 周日, 21:41
[转帖]中资企业在海外上市时大多选择香港或是纽约,但近来有些中资公司却发现... 海归主坛 2007-11-23 周五, 15:18
【投票】如果有可能,你会选择融资创业还是职业投资? 海归主坛 2007-7-13 周五, 13:12
[转帖]中美医疗差异究竟在哪里?细节、选择与程序决定成败 海归茶馆 2015-9-07 周一, 20:32
[转帖]绕道公开市场融资,硅谷企业兴起“私人IPO” 海归商务 2015-6-08 周一, 09:48
[转帖]提高融资成功率的八大技巧 海归商务 2015-4-18 周六, 22:46

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 tutu离线  发送站内短信
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.