海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: Red Flags From Bob Rubin(zt) He is such a smart guy.
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 Red Flags From Bob Rubin(zt) He is such a smart guy.   
ceo/cfo
[博客]
[个人文集]

头衔: 海归中将

头衔: 海归中将
声望: 院士
性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2004/11/05
文章: 12941

海归分: 491633

文章标题: Red Flags From Bob Rubin(zt) He is such a smart guy. (488 reads)      时间: 2005-12-13 周二, 22:59   

作者:ceo/cfo海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

Things were so fiscally healthy under his watch. Look what we have now. Take a deep breath and a deep sigh.

Former Treasury Secretary Robert E. Rubin has a long, flowing title at Citigroup (C ): director and chairman of the executive committee; member, office of the chairman. But his real role is strategic thinker. In several discussions over the past weeks, Rubin talked about what he sees on America's horizon. Advertisement

What are the biggest dangers facing the world economy?
The enormous global imbalances, particularly those focused on the U.S. -- the fiscal imbalances, trade imbalances, virtually [nonexistent] personal savings compared with debt. The U.S. is at a critical juncture. [It faces] a competitive challenge of historic dimensions coming from China, India, and many other emerging-market economies. India, China, Korea, and Southeast Asia will be the most robust part of the global economy and will become the center of it over the decades ahead. At some point in that period, China will likely become the world's largest economy. That is a challenge we can meet, but we are not on track to meet it today.

Given the disarray and disruption at the White House, how easy is it going to be to get things done?
The things we most powerfully need to do are difficult politically, and I don't see any movement. The projections of mainstream forecasters haven't changed: $4.5 trillion to $5 trillion of deficit over the next 10 years if the 2001-02 tax cuts are made permanent and if there is [alternative minimum tax] reform.... When you get to the middle of the next decade, the rate of growth of Medicare and Social Security all of a sudden increases rapidly because baby boomer retirements increase dramatically. The federal health-care challenges represent five or six times the problem of Social Security. Meantime, you have competition from emerging markets. Can you get things done? I suppose. But we need a vastly improved education system, basic research...and nothing is being addressed.

What is the worst-case scenario of the deficits?
[The U.S. has been] shielded from the discipline of the market because of the enormous inflows of capital. It may be that we can have good [gross domestic product] growth for many years to come, but the numbers simply don't add up. And when things don't add up, [growth] stops. It's not indefinitely sustainable to have these deficits and imbalanced accounts. If you had enormous savings rates, then maybe. But we don't have enormous savings.

I want to get a sense of what you're involved with at Citi.
Sure. I'll give you a few examples. We did two [in-depth] reviews [of our businesses] at the end of last year...one in fixed income, the other in the consumer business. I was part of both of those. It was [CEO] Chuck [Prince] and me and a few others. Right now we're looking at a possible acquisition abroad. I have no idea whether we'll do it, but a group of us went over it. It involves complicated questions, so they asked me to think it through.

What do you think of Ben Bernanke as Federal Reserve chairman?
Good choice. People who know him quite well hold him in high regard as a student of monetary policy. In a speech at the Fed retreat in Jackson Hole [Wyo.] in August, I said that I thought the next chairman, in addition to being deeply knowledgeable about macroeconomic theory and insightful about reading data, could well need the experience to deal with market disruptions, given the enormous global imbalances we have...and [Bernanke] doesn't have that experience around markets. But he is fortunate because the Fed bank of New York has a long tradition of good capability with respect to markets, so he has a lot of [experience] he can call on.

Would you have taken the job if the President asked you?
[Laughs] He would never have asked me. I was there 6 1/2 years [and have] no interest in going back to Washington. The pressure is constant. Everything you do is in the media fishbowl.

作者:ceo/cfo海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
China's Red Flags 海归主坛 2010-4-14 周三, 09:35
Rubin becomes Citi chairman; Bischoff... 海归主坛 2007-11-05 周一, 09:51
好书: Robert Rubin 的 “In an Uncertain W... 海归论坛 2006-5-26 周五, 01:38
PORT,RUBIN,李安 海归茶馆 2006-3-07 周二, 00:18
高薪招聘:IBM Smart Cloud Software Archite... IT 2012-9-17 周一, 21:54
Zuckerberg's post-IPO wedding is smar... 海归商务 2012-5-22 周二, 04:34
[转帖]MATCHING START-UPS WITH SMART MONEY 海归商务 2011-8-02 周二, 01:54
[分享]Smart railway Logistic IT Consultant 海归职场 2010-10-09 周六, 17:19

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 ceo/cfo离线  发送站内短信
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.