海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: RE: advice on foreign investment in real estate in China
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 RE: advice on foreign investment in real estate in China   
Diamondhorse

警告次数: 1

头衔: 海归中将

头衔: 海归中将
声望: 博导
性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2005/11/01
文章: 4896

海归分: 442560

文章标题: RE: advice on foreign investment in real estate in China (1354 reads)      时间: 2005-12-13 周二, 01:12   

作者:Diamondhorse海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

This is a big topic, regarding foreign investment in China in general and real estate investment in China in particular. It is beyond my feable mind to tackle this. However, it should not be preventing me just say a word or two.
Depends on who you are. If you are a financial adviser in the US or any similar countries that have laws protecting individual investors (this can also be argued, but we can say this with relative comfort that there are better legal protections here in the US), you would be better off not to advise any of your clients in putting money in speculative real estate investment in China. If your clients are pretty well to do, you can suggest them to invest in apartment projects in the US cities where job growth is good. Not in luxurious apartments or condos in parts of Florida and Las Vegas. They are cooling off. However, affordable apartments are still in high demand. Also, senior assisted living projects also can provide good return. Buy an existing apartment, convert it into a senior assisted living business. It requires certain expertise like hiring a social worker and/or someone with medical training in the staff. Regulations might differ from state to state.
Real estate investment in China provides high return, if you have very good government connections. However, this is something very elusive. I have good contacts in China telling me they have an extremely low prices land available. It is still not for open bid yet. They have insiders who have control of the property. It can be sold (lease rights) for one third less than the market value. If we could get this land, we could make millions upon milliions of dollars. (Total area 600 mu, each mu, the price difference is 500,000 yuan). Would you be willing to advise any foreign investors in the US to invest in this kind of deal? There are several problems here:
First, I do not know if you have the right conscience to do something like that. This is selling out economic interests of the current stake holders of this piece of land. I know it belongs to a large factory, but now in distress. If, without these rotten insiders, it might fetch a much higher market price. The former workers and their families could probably have a better piece of pie. I don't think people with right conscience can do it, except for people like Zhou Zhengyi, the Shanghai scoundrel who had some powerful backings.
Second, how can you tell this is not a trap? You might be able to raise $100 million dollars to secure the land, only later you would be told that such dealings, without going through the open bid is illegal and, you know what it means when they say it is illegal. Your investor might just kiss its money good bye and the only positive experience they had would be from the wining and dining. Yes, granted that my contact is my buddy, or 铁哥们. He probably would not cheat me into this kind of trouble. However, there might be more powerful people over and above my buddy's cousin or whoever, and when they see or smell blood on the prey, they want also jump in and kick you out. We see too many cases like this and sadly, there are so many interest groups in China now and so many people want a piece of action when they see an opportunity. This is not necessarily bad. It comes with the territory of market economy. However, there should be effective game rules. It is not to say that people in the US are better. If you ever watch Western movies, you should know that when they started all this (capitalism), they were thugs and bandits, thieves and murderers. However, they gradually built up a system that most people now can play in the system. In China, different levels of interest groups have just realized the tremendous value of real estate, and the government is still finding ways to get this game rules to be set up. It is still not mature. and therefore has huge risk exposure for foreign investors.
Of course, if you say "在商言商" "赚钱没良心", I cannot argue with that. As long as you can make money, go ahead, anything is fair game. However, I have to say it is not my type a cup of tea.

作者:Diamondhorse海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
Beijing-Investment Manager- Real Esta... 海归职场 2010-11-26 周五, 17:42
Investment Director-Real Estate (房地产投... 海归职场 2010-11-24 周三, 10:43
The ownership of real estate in China... 海归论馆 2005-4-26 周二, 04:55
advice on inviting foreign investment... 海归论坛 2005-12-01 周四, 11:25
Beijing-Capex & Investment Manager-Le... 海归职场 2011-7-11 周一, 11:15
[转帖]U.S.TAX IMPLICATIONS OF FOREIGN I... 海归商务 2011-6-08 周三, 12:18
Real estate investment in Northern ca... 海归论坛 2004-1-26 周一, 10:34
[转帖]Patrick Chovanec (程致宇) : China Re... 海归商务 2012-5-18 周五, 04:54

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 Diamondhorse离线  发送站内短信
  • RE: advice on foreign investment in real estate in China -- Diamondhorse - (4106 Byte) 2005-12-13 周二, 01:12 (1354 reads)
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.