海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: Snow urges Congress to raise debt limit!
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 Snow urges Congress to raise debt limit!   
ceo/cfo
[博客]
[个人文集]

头衔: 海归中将

头衔: 海归中将
声望: 院士
性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2004/11/05
文章: 12941

海归分: 491633

文章标题: Snow urges Congress to raise debt limit! (687 reads)      时间: 2005-12-30 周五, 08:52   

作者:ceo/cfo海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Treasury Secretary John Snow warned lawmakers on Thursday that a legally set limit on the government's ability to borrow will be hit in mid-February and urged Congress to raise it quickly.

Failure to do so potentially risks throwing the country into its first default in history, Snow warned in what has become virtually an annual rite as U.S. borrowing needs spiral.

"The administration now projects that the statutory debt limit, currently $8.184 trillion, will be reached in mid-February 2006," Snow said in a letter to 21 members of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate released by Treasury after financial markets had closed.

Snow said that Treasury, if the debt limit was not raised by then, would have to take "extraordinary actions" to keep paying its bills for everything from Social Security to national defense spending.

Even if Treasury took "all available prudent and legal actions to avoid breaching the statutory debt limit, we anticipate that we can finance government operations no longer than mid-March."

The debt limit was last raised in November 2004 by $800 billion to its current level. The letter to Congress does not specify an amount the Treasury wants the ceiling set at this time.

But he said quick action was needed to preserve the U.S. ability to borrow in global capital markets at the lowest rates possible.

"A failure to increase the debt limit in a timely manner would threaten this unique and important position," Snow said.

The call for an increase in the debt ceiling typically provokes a round of criticism from opposition politicians over excessive government spending and the process is drawn out until nearly the last possible moment.

Treasury officials had said in November it was bracing for hefty borrowing needs in the January-March quarter, likely around a record $171 billion, and that it likely would hit the debt limit in that period.

Among other factors, the Treasury cited increased spending for rebuilding Gulf Coast areas hit hard by hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

作者:ceo/cfo海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
来讨论一下,过几天debt limit deal过了,股市还会涨吗? 还是... 谈股论金 2011-7-23 周六, 02:16
经典英歌 You Raise Me Up 高山流水 2016-6-22 周三, 22:56
[分享]You raise me up 是你鼓舞了我 海归茶馆 2014-8-27 周三, 19:05
[分享]SNOW IN JAMAICA (Warning+18) 海归酒吧 2013-8-22 周四, 08:03
【You Raise Me Up】 万方 英文歌曲 2013-3-29 周五, 22:40
【北】You Raise Me Up --前进北方 高山流水 2012-11-23 周五, 00:21
【欢度元旦】Inspirational E-歌,【You Raise Me... 英文歌曲 2011-12-30 周五, 00:11
【春晖】曲/You Raise Me Up 演唱/海石 填词/天舒 高山流水 2011-8-01 周一, 10:31

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 ceo/cfo离线  发送站内短信
  • Snow urges Congress to raise debt limit! -- ceo/cfo - (2093 Byte) 2005-12-30 周五, 08:52 (687 reads)
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.