海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: 也谈VT事件和华裔融入美国社会: be selfish is the basic value of democracy
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 也谈VT事件和华裔融入美国社会: be selfish is the basic value of democracy   
mthood

头衔: 海归上士

性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2007/04/19
文章: 8

海归分: 1067

文章标题: 也谈VT事件和华裔融入美国社会: be selfish is the basic value of democracy (1707 reads)      时间: 2007-4-22 周日, 13:17   

作者:mthood海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

There was much discussion about how Chinese act differently from the mainstream U.S. society in the face of the VT event. One point made was that we Chinese couldn't make ourselves a part of mainstream as we don't think mainstream - we only see things from our narrow lens and we're selfish.

I disagree. There is nothing wrong to act in one's best interest. In fact, I believe it's the foundation and the basic value of capitalism and democracy. Of course, its flip side is to be calculating enough to give up some selfish interest only to attain as much self interest as practically possible.

As some have observed, one problem with Chinese in the U.S is not well trained to understand the game rules of this society, act by the rules, and be strong to defend our interests by the rules.

Think about the Jews when you question whether we Chinese are selfish. Think about the Jews when you question whether we Chinese are wise.

I feel sorry about the victims at VT. And I'm selfish and want to protect my family members from such violence. Neither is related to ethinicity.

I'm also selfish and want to protect my family members from any backlash of this event as a Chinese or Asian, or any prejudice of this nature. I want my children to be safe and happy in this land.

Had the killer been a white, do people (white and non-white) care about his ethinicity?

作者:mthood海归商务 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
【提上来】回钱广兄关于美国“主流”社会四个基本原则的说法,也谈VT枪击事件... 海归论坛 2007-4-20 周五, 18:40
加华裔南下美国找工作 “去与不去”? 海外移民 2007-7-09 周一, 17:19
ZT:已入外国国籍的华裔子女回国就学及耆老回国居住申请中国绿卡的条件 海归论坛 2004-9-12 周日, 16:53
[分享]华裔再捧美最热真人秀冠军 赢100万美元的大奖 生活风情 2011-12-13 周二, 23:13
CBS「60分钟」公布 FBI 监视录影带,声称抓到一个华裔台湾中国间谍 海归主坛 2010-3-02 周二, 13:16
没事找事系列:赴中国镀金潮风起云涌 华裔和老美都疯狂(转帖) 海归主坛 2009-8-25 周二, 07:00
ZT 华夏快递 : 美国领事和中国申请人谈赴美签证 海归论坛 2004-8-12 周四, 01:55
[国际新闻] 华人实拍美国养老院 每月80美金包食宿羡煞网友(组图) 海归酒吧 2014-5-29 周四, 08:47

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 mthood离线  发送站内短信
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归商务           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.